North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Congress Agrees to Add 26 Synthetic Drugs to Controlled Subs

Daily newsbrief journal for June 2012, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Congress Agrees to Add 26 Synthetic Drugs to Controlled Subs

Postby admin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:09 pm

Congress Agrees to Add 26 Synthetic Drugs to Controlled Substances Act
DEA commended House and Senate negotiators for agreeing on legislation to control 26 synthetic drugs under the Controlled Substances Act, including many commonly found in products marketed as “K2” and “Spice.” The addition of these chemicals to Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act will be included as part of S. 3187, the Food and Drug Administration Safety and Innovation Act. Schedule I substances are those with a high potential for abuse; have no medical use in treatment in the United States; and lack an accepted safety for use of the drug.

In addition to scheduling the 26 drugs, the new law would also double the length of time a substance may be temporarily placed in Schedule I (from 18 to 36 months). In addition to explicitly naming 26 substances, the legislation creates a new definition for “cannabamimetic agents,” creating a criterion by which similar chemical compounds can be controlled.
admin
Site Admin

Return to June 2012