North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Ending $4 billion in oil subsidies

Daily newsbrief journal for March 2012, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Postby admin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:34 pm

from Obama 2012 Blog
Speaking in Nashua, New Hampshire today, President Obama asked all of us to contact our representatives in Congress and demand an end to $4 billion in big oil subsidies that taxpayers fund each year:

[Over] the long term, an all-of-the-above strategy requires the right incentives. And here’s one of the best examples. Right now, $4 billion of your tax dollars—$4 billion—subsidizes the oil industry every year.

Four billion dollars. Now, these companies are making record profits right now—tens of billions of dollars a year. Every time you go to the gas tank or fill up your gas tank, they’re making money. Every time. Now, does anyone really think that Congress should give them another $4 billion this year?

Of course not. It’s outrageous. It’s inexcusable. And I am asking Congress—eliminate this oil industry giveaway right away. I want them to vote on this in the next few weeks. Let’s put every single member of Congress on record: You can stand with the oil companies, or you can stand up for the American people. You can keep subsidizing a fossil fuel that’s been getting taxpayer dollars for a century, or you can place your bets on a clean-energy future.

So I’m asking everybody here today, anybody who is watching at home, let your member of Congress know where you stand. Will you do that?

http://www.barackobama.com/news/ending- ... -subsidies
admin
Site Admin

Return to March 2012