North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Presidential Report Card on Ending the Occupation « Thread S

Daily newsbrief journal for September 2007, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Presidential Report Card on Ending the Occupation « Thread S

Postby admin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Presidential Report Card on Ending the Occupation « Thread Started on Sept 7, 2007, 11:25pm » --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Presidential Report Card on Ending the Occupation of IraqSubmitted by Bob Fertik on September 6, 2007 - 12:17pm. read at source> http://www.democrats.com/presidential-r ... iraqGeorge Bush and his Republican allies want to continue the U.S. occupation of Iraq for decades, despite the enormous cost in lives, tax dollars, and global terrorism - and despite the overwhelming opposition of the American people.In the Spring, the Democratic Congress was forced to surrender to George Bush on Iraq, thanks to the Bush Dogs who betrayed the Democratic Party and supported Bush.Now it's September and Bush wants another $200 billion to occupy Iraq for another year (and possibly bomb Iran too).There are eight Democrats who want to lead the party in the 2008 campaign. How many of them are willing to stand up right now and lead the party to end the occupation?To make the comparison simple and clear, I have created a Presidential Report Card on Ending the Occupation of Iraq.A: Oppose all additional funds for Iraq and require Bush to use existing funds to remove all troops from Iraq as soon as possible (Rep. Kucinich) B: Endorse the "Peace Pledge" to only fund the "safe withdrawal of our troops from Iraq" by January 2009 at a cost significantly below the $200 billion requested by Bush (Reps. Barbara Lee, Lynn Woolsey, and Maxine Waters) C: Give Bush $200 billion for another year of occupation but attach a firm deadline to remove all combat troops from Iraq as soon as possible D: Give Bush $200 billion for another year of occupation with reduced U.S. forces but no deadline to remove combat troops from Iraq (Senate: Levin-Reed, House: Abercrombie, Tanner, Hoyer, and Pelosi) F: Give Bush $200 billion for another year of occupation without any significant reduction in U.S. forces (Senate: Salazar) A:Dennis KucinichB:C:Chris DoddToday Presidential Candidate Chris Dodd expressed his opposition to the reported Levin-Reed legislation: "Rather than picking up votes, by removing the deadline to get our troops out of Iraq you have lost this Democrat's vote. Despite the fact that this has been the bloodiest summer of the war and report after report says that there has been little to no political progress, the White House continues to argue that their strategy is working. It is clear that half measures are not going to stop this President or end this war. I cannot and will not support any measure that does not have a firm and enforceable deadline to complete the redeployment of combat troops from Iraq. Only then will Congress be able to send a clear message to the President that we are changing course in Iraq, and a message to the Iraqis that they need to get their political house in order. I urge my colleagues to join me and declare their opposition to this measure.Start withdrawal immediately 50,000 troops out of Iraq by January 31, 2008 Complete re-deployment of combat troops by April 30, 2008 No additional funding for combat operations after April 30, 2008 Make funding for the war during the redeployment period contingent on progress of redeployment. John Edwards:It's time to stand up for the American people and against President Bush's failed, stubborn policy. Without a firm deadline, a small withdrawal of only some of the surge troops won't cut it—that's not a solution, it's an excuse. Congress must not send President Bush any funding bill without a timeline to end this war. No timeline, no funding. No excuses. Hillary Clinton: Rather than continuing the escalation, we must begin the immediate redeployment of U.S. troops out of Iraq, in order to end this war as soon as possible. I continue to support legislative efforts requiring the Administration to begin to withdraw our troops and to complete the redeployment of combat troops in 2008, and I encourage the Congressional leadership to ensure that we will have an opportunity to vote for such legislation. D:F: While I'm at it I will also grade some of the blogs I know best:A: B: Bob Fertik David Swanson C:Big Tent Democrat C-:Kos: the compromise is 1) we give you the money, and 2) you give us the timetable. We can even compromise on #2, working together to figure out just how long troops ought to remain (from, say, six months to just before Bush leaves office), depending on what military leaders on the ground say would be the safest, most efficient way to get them out.
admin
Site Admin

Return to September 2007