North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Democrats Question General Petraeus' Credibility, Integrity«

Daily newsbrief journal for September 2007, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Democrats Question General Petraeus' Credibility, Integrity«

Postby admin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Democrats Question General Petraeus' Credibility, Integrity« Thread Started on Sept 13, 2007, 6:44am » --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Democrats Question General Petraeus' Credibility, IntegrityBy Susan JonesCNSNews.com Senior EditorSeptember 10, 2007read at source> http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?P ... NSNews.com) - Democrats are questioning the integrity of Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. military commander in Iraq, hoping to discredit in advance anything he will tell Congress on Monday and Tuesday, when he delivers his progress report on Iraq. On Monday, Moveon.org ran an ad in the New York Times asking, "General Petraeus or General Betray Us?" The anti-war, anti-Bush group accused the general of "cooking the books for the White House" by giving an overly optimistic assessment of the situation on the ground. It describes Petraeus as a "military man constantly at war with the facts." Speaking on Fox News Sunday, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said she doesn't know what General Petraeus will say. "But I don't think he's an independent evaluator," Feinstein said, suggesting -- as other Democrats have done -- that he's taking his cue from the White House. Sen. Joseph Biden, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, told NBC's Meet the Press that although there has been "some mild security progress" in Iraq, the "sectarian violence" continues in Baghdad and Anbar province.Amid reports that Gen. Petraeus will oppose a significant policy change in Iraq -- including a major, imminent troop pullout -- Biden said, "I really respect him, but I think he's dead flat wrong. "I will insist on a firm beginning to withdraw the troops, and I will insist on a target date to get American combat forces out," Biden said.Gen. David Petraeus and U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker are scheduled to testify before four congressional committees on Monday and Tuesday.
admin
Site Admin

Return to September 2007