North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Statement on Cloture Vote in Senate on DC Voting Rights Bill

Daily newsbrief journal for September 2007, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Statement on Cloture Vote in Senate on DC Voting Rights Bill

Postby admin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:57 pm

Statement on Cloture Vote in Senate on DC Voting Rights Bill« Thread Started on Sept 21, 2007, 10:06pm » --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Statement on Cloture Vote in Senate on DC Voting Rights Billread at source> http://democraticleader.house.gov/in_th ... WASHINGTON, DC - House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (MD) released the following statement today after the Senate failed to reach cloture to move to consideration of the DC Voting Rights Bill:"I am disappointed, but not discouraged by today’s vote in the Senate."I would like to thank all of those Senators who stood with the House of Representatives in supporting the right to representation for the citizens of Washington, DC. I would also like to thank Reps. Eleanor Holmes Norton and Tom Davis for all of their hard work on this bill."We will not give up. We will not stand by while our young men and women are fighting to ensure that the people of Baghdad can vote, while the people of DC remain disenfranchised."Eleanor Holmes Norton represents Washington, DC very well and with energy, but she, or whoever represents Washington, should have a full vote if we are to be true to our democracy."Those who argue this is unconstitutional because the vote can only be extended to citizens of the states should remember that everyone living in Washington, DC is in fact a successor of my home state of Maryland, which ceded land to create the District of Columbia."Democracy has not been dissuaded today – just delayed. This is the right thing to do."
admin
Site Admin

Return to September 2007