North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Media Starting To Ask Democrats The Right Questions On Iraq

Daily newsbrief journal for July 2007, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Media Starting To Ask Democrats The Right Questions On Iraq

Postby admin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:51 pm

Media Starting To Ask Democrats The Right Questions On Iraq « Thread Started on Jul 18, 2007, 7:17pm » --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Media Starting To Ask Democrats The Right Questions On Iraq by: Chris BowersWed Jul 18, 2007 at 14:36:58 PM EDT read at source> http://www.openleft.com/showDiary.do?di ... onsidering how often we criticize the established media in the progressive blogosphere, today I am somewhat relieved to offer a change of pace. At MSNBC, Tom Curry is starting to ask the right questions about American troop levels in Iraq under Democratic redeployment plans. From an article he wrote yesterday:If Senate Democrats could enact their plan for Iraq, how many American troops would remain there?That's not a question to which Democratic leaders gave a precise answer Tuesday.It actually makes me feel better to see that national affairs correspondents for MSNBC are finding it just as difficult as I have to get answers as to how many troops would in stay in Iraq under the myriad of Democratic redeployment plans. In addition to the work Matt and I did on this at MyDD, this is a subject I have already written about twice on Open Left: Chris Bowers :: Media Starting To Ask Democrats The Right Questions On Iraq The Great Unknown: American Troops in Iraq Under A Democratic Administration. In this post, I pegged the consensus estimate on Levin-Reid at 40,000-60,000. Also, Senator Feingold indicated that he did not believe Feingold-Reid would require tens of thousands of troops.Update: Democratic Plans For American Troops In Iraq. In this post, the Biden, Dodd, Obama and Richardson campaigns responded to a query of mine on this subject, with varying degrees of specificity. The question Tom Curry asks is clearly not an easy one to find an answer, for several reasons. The main reason is that Democratic Senators and presidential campaigns are reticent to provide an answer. Carl Levin is a good example of this: The amendment's co-sponsor, Armed Services Committee chairman Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., told reporters Tuesday that talk of specific numbers was a distraction."I'm not going to get into numbers - because it changes the subject from what the issue is," Levin said. "The issue is whether we're going to change course, whether we're going to begin to reduce our troops…."Of course, another reason is that determinations of this nature are simply difficult to make. It is always difficult to put a reasonably precise estimate on troop levels required to carry out any set of military missions, and 40K-60K estimate for Levin-Reid might not even be accurate. And, as I have discovered, campaigns are not willing to answer what they consider to be hypothetical questions.
admin
Site Admin

Return to July 2007