North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

GOP senator urges Gonzales to quit« Thread Started on Apr 19

Daily newsbrief journal for April 2007, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

GOP senator urges Gonzales to quit« Thread Started on Apr 19

Postby admin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:54 am

GOP senator urges Gonzales to quit« Thread Started on Apr 19, 2007, 6:01pm » --------------------------------------------------------------------------------White House insiders: Gonzales 'going down in flames'read at source> http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/04/19/ ... WASHINGTON (CNN) -- White House insiders tell CNN that Attorney General Alberto Gonzales is in trouble after testimony before a Senate committee Thursday on the firing of eight U.S. attorneys.The sources, involved in administration discussions about Gonzales, told White House correspondent Suzanne Malveaux that two senior level White House aides who heard the testimony described Gonzales as "going down in flames," "not doing himself any favors," and "predictable.""Everyone's putting their best public face on," one source said, "but everyone is discouraged. Everyone is disappointed."But these sources acknowledge that no one knows what the president will do. No one is looking for a replacement yet, sources said, and the White House is waiting to see how this plays out with the public and members of Congress over the next couple of days, they said.Another White House insider said it's up to the President to save him."He and Al have to work this out ..." he said. "There is no indication that Gonzales thinks he needs to leave."During his testimony, Gonzales apologized for the manner in which the attorneys were fired, but added that, "nothing improper occurred."The fired prosecutors "deserve better from me and the Department of Justice which they served for many years." (Watch Gonzales' opening statement )In response to questioning by Sen. Herb Kohl, D-Wisconsin, Gonzales said he thinks he can continue to be an effective leader of the Justice Department."The moment I believe I can no longer be effective, I will resign as attorney general," he said. (Watch Sen. Kohl ask Gonzales if he should resign )Asked what he would have done differently, Gonzales said he would have prevented his then-chief of staff, Kyle Sampson, from allowing the dismissal process to take two years, and he would have arranged a face-to-face meeting with each lawyer, with time allotted for them to respond to concerns.
admin
Site Admin

Return to April 2007