North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Democracy Bonds rolls along to 20,000« Thread Started on Aug

Daily newsbrief journal for August 2005, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Democracy Bonds rolls along to 20,000« Thread Started on Aug

Postby admin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Democracy Bonds rolls along to 20,000« Thread Started on Aug 10, 2005, 7:28pm » --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Six weeks after the launch of Democracy Bonds, the response has surpassed all expectations. More than 20,000 Democrats -- from bankers to waitresses -- have made a monthly commitment to fund our party for the long-term.The Democracy Bonds community can tell you a lot better than I can why this commitment is so important. I've included some comments from a recent online discussion about Democracy Bonds below this note.Building a community of small donors giving monthly is the key to funding the 50-state strategy that you mandated -- a sound, sustainable financial base is the only way we can build a truly national party and fight every race at every level. Tonight, Governor Dean and Democracy Bond holders in Boston will be building that community even more at the first-ever Democracy Bonds rally.The buzz is real, the potential for this program is real, and the impact of your small monthly donation will be real. Join the community now or, if you're already a Bond holder, pass this link to a friend:http://www.democrats.org/democracybondsThank you for everything.Lindsay LewisFinance DirectorDemocratic National CommitteeHere's what folks are saying:"Although it's more than I can probably afford, I'm putting in $30.00 per month now. If finances get any better, I'll probably raise my monthly donation."Having served on the Board of Trustees on my church for three years, I know the importance of having predictable and committed financial resources. It's the responsible way to run an institution."It's known as 'stewardship' and 'investment'. It is incumbent on all of us to contribute on an on-going committed basis to the mission of the Democratic Party, if we care about its continued existence, and if we wish to see it run in a responsible manner. From the many comments here over the years, it seems like the vast majority of us want to get the party out of the hands of the corporations. Here's our chance to do so." -- DavidW in SF---"I've been donating $10 a month since way back (before Democracy bonds) because I don't have enough money to make a difference in an individual campaign, nor do I know where the money is most needed. Hence, I figured my small donation would work best at the DNC. I feel even better about it now that Dean is Chair."And I think he's absolutely right. I used to work in the software industry, and one of the things our business model lacked was recurring revenue. We had these hockey stick-looking revenue charts, where most of the sales revenue came in at the end of the quarter. It's an awful pins and needles way to operate a company (especially when it's a public company). "What Democracy Bonds will give the party is a recurring revenue model that they can rely on to make big idea plans. We can still get the extra boost from individual "sales", but there's nothing like that steady income to make the party strong. " -- LawStudent---"I bought one ... And while I wasn't a Dean supporter during the last election, I appreciate what his grassroots approach could do."Therefore, he has earned my support."We need to get big corporate money out of politics ... If the American people catch on to what he is really trying to do, it would be revolutionary." -- wrights---"I just signed up for $10 a month ... It's not much, but it's better than nothing. I supported Howard during the presidential primaries and I saw what can happen when a lot of average people get together and pool their money for a cause. We all have to be willing to do what it takes to make democracy happen in whatever small way we can." -- Christine in Mass---"My experience on not-for-profit boards makes me aware that early dollars and steady dollars are much more valuable than late dollars (even when they are bigger dollars). Some others have posted on this also. It has to do with budget planning. If you know what you have as a monthly budget--even a small one--you can stop sweating the copy machine paper clip details and focus more energy on planning actual events."If the Bonds take off, the foundation will be there to make this a 50 state party." -- Bill Section 147 ---"I think this is a GREAT idea ... I donated regularly and directly to John Kerry during his campaign, and was devastated after the loss, but was reenergized when I heard Howard Dean speak of a grassroots approach funded by small donations, as the only way to win elections." -- Calisher---You can find a link to the full discussion here: http://www.democrats.org/a/2005/08/stew ... and.phpGet your Democracy Bond now: http://www.democrats.org/democracybonds
admin
Site Admin

Return to August 2005