North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

DNC Chairman Governor Howard Dean« Thread Started on Mar 13,

Daily newsbrief journal for March 2005, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

DNC Chairman Governor Howard Dean« Thread Started on Mar 13,

Postby admin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:51 am

DNC Chairman Governor Howard Dean« Thread Started on Mar 13, 2005, 4:14am »--------------------------------------------------------------------------------March 11, 2005DNC Chairman Governor Howard DeanIt seems to me that the Republicans in Congress and the White House have as their goal to dismantle not only Social Security, but any programs that have been enacted in the last 100 years or so to protect the rights of average citizens. What can the Democratic Party and we as democratic citizens do to protect these programs that have gone so far to protect minimal standards of living and standards of dignity for the elderly and the working poor of this country? As an ancillary question, how can Democrats and democrats convince the middle class in America that the only reason the middle class exists in this country is because of the protections these programs have provided?Tamara L. Orange Park, FLThe Republicans' risky plan to privatize Social Security will cut guaranteed benefits, require borrowing trillions of dollars from foreign countries like China and Japan, and turn our Social Security money over the same type of people that gave us the financial scandals of Enron, Global Crossing, and Tyco.The American people have figured out that this will not benefit them - only 1/3 of them support what the President is trying to do.The message is simple - you can't trust Republicans with your money. We need to stay strong on that message. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------How do you propose to use environmental issues to get people interested in the election process?Cristina V. Gastonia, NCAs you know Bush's record on the environment is the worst one we've seen. It's the worst of any president in recent memory.We simply need to keep pointing out that this is the person that thinks that drilling in wildlife refuges is better than investing in renewable energy. Democrats have always been supporters of clean environment legislation and we need to continue to make that clear. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------How do you plan to seek input from the grass roots, the young voters, and disaffected democrats to build a new vision of what the democratic party stands for? We need a vision. We need to stand for something: social justice, healthy environment, opportunity for all, etc. It can't be, like it has, a matter of which candidate is running. Democrats have to stand for something. It's time for a breath of fresh air in the democratic party not just the old politicos protecting their jobs.Judith M. Chevy Chase, MDWe want the grassroots voters to go onto our blog. We also need to continue to stand up for what we believe -- being Republican-lite will not help us beat the Republicans. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I want to get on with "the permanent campaign". Will we get any help from the DNC for precinct leader trainings?Anne W. Asheville, NCBy the end of the year, we hope to have trained grassroots organizers in every state. We definitely want to figure out a way to help candidates and party activists.As you mentioned, the Democrats will be engaged in a four year campaign. Democrats have to run for every level of office -- from school board to the city council. We must build a farm team for the future. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Besides giving money, how can those of us in secure "Blue" states like Massachusetts help those Democrats in "Red" states? Is it possible that we could set up a suggestion page on the DNC website about activities that worked in our community and might easily translate to those in other communities?Susan H. Hingham, MAThose of you in secure blue states still have red areas in those states that we need help in. There are always active political campaigns -- so, please get involved in red areas for all levels of government -- including state representatives and city council.And, don't forget -- naturally, donating to the DNC helps.We intend to have an active effort in all 50 states with paid staff on the ground as soon as possible to help with congressional and local elections.And, personally -- I have already been to Mississippi, Nevada and Kansas. I'm going to Tennessee next week. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I and many other African-American Democrats are concerned about the perception taking hold in my community that we are being ignored in national elections until the last month of the campaign in order to cater to suburban voters. What specific things will a Dean chaired DNC do to counter this perception?Monica R. Louisville, KYYou are right -- we need to be in the communities for four straight years, not just at the end of the campaign. As I've mentioned before, Democrats need to be involved in every race, at every level of government -- and that means engaging all Democrats all of the time.I know you will see efforts by the end of the year, in every community -- including the African American community. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Governor, will you be participating in the public discourse (and thereby exerting your influence over it) in the form of TV appearances on talk shows, guest columns in major newspapers, and the like?Di R. Oak Hill, VARight now we are focusing on local press when I travel and when President Bush travels to combat his message. I have been doing radio and satellite TV interviews from DNC headquarters, when I am in town too.I will be on television talk shows and will eventually do interviews with the national press. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Gov. Dean, I congratulate you and the party on your selection as leader. I believe we must put forward a consistent and clear progressive message to the American people. What can we do about some democratic officials who are willing to compromise on core issues such as social security?William R. Lake Oswego, ORSo far no Democratic officials have caved in on Social Security. I have been very pleased with the leadership in both the House and the Senate on this issue. I know we will successfully stop the President on introducing this irresponsible legislation that will leave a big debt for his risky Social Security program. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------You mentioned -- and I applaud -- the importance of religious outreach by the Democratic party. My question: how you plan to do this outreach, and how can this outreach extend to a distributed grassroots of religious people?Tim C. Culver City, CAYes, we plan to reach out to religious groups -- first by acknowledging their relevance and importance. And, second of all -- pointing out the hypocrisy of Republicans when they talk about moral values.We should learn how to talk about moral values. After all, If this election had been decided on moral values, Democrats would have won. It is a moral value to provide health care. It is a moral value to educate our young people. The sense of community that comes from full participation in our democracy is a moral value. It is a moral value to make sure that we do not leave our own debts to be paid by the next generation. Honesty is a moral value. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------How do you plan to empower young Americans like myself who want to help shape the NEW DEMOCRATIC PARTY, but don't have the network in place to get involved at levels to truly make an impact both locally and nationally?Thank you for your time.April G. Reston, VAThe way to empower young Americans is simply to trust them and to be honest about what we need to do to improve the country. Young people turned out in record numbers this past election and voted overwhelmingly Democratic. Young people are capable of organizing campaigns.In fact, a friend of mine was just elected City Councilor in Lebanon, New Hampshire and her campaign was run by two college students. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I am a business owner, yet because I believe strongly in the union movement I am an associate member of the United Steelworkers of America. What are your plans for the Democratic Party to work with unions to organize, help with enrollment, stand with union leaders and membership in their fights across the country.Mark K. Seattle, WAThe labor movement and the Democratic Party share the same goals -- a successful economic system in America where everyone benefits from hard work. We need to say unashamedly and often that unions are an essential part of a successful capitalist society.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- March 13, 2005International authorities apprehend 41 suspects in a massive money laundering ring code-named White Whale in Spain. (Bloomberg) (Independent) (BBC)Pope John Paul II leaves Agostino Gemelli University Polyclinic 2 1/2 weeks after his tracheotomy and returns to Vatican City. BBCThe Malta Labour Party celebrates a long expected victory in the Local Council Elections in Malta. 53.18% of the electorate voted Labour whereas 44.6% voted for the Partit Nazzjonalista. (di-ve)China begins human trials of AIDS vaccine (People's Daily Online) (Channel News Asia) (Medical News Today)In France, prime minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin agrees to demands of protesters and grants concession on his reform policies (Reuters) (BBC)Former leader of Togo, Gnassingbé Eyadéma, is buried in the capital Lomé (News24) (BBC)Roll Back Malaria (RBM) Partnership charity concert "Africa Live" begins in Dakar, Senegal, to collect funds to fight against malaria and to buy mosquito nets. Local musician Youssou N'Dour organized the concert and it features major African artists. (Roll Back Malaria Africa Live Concert website) (News24) (Reuters) (IOL)Muslim religious scholars in Pakistan announce a fatwa that decrees that heroin use is un-Islamic. The fatwa is pronounced in a seminar in Baluchistan. (Daily Times, Pakistan (BBC)In Turkey, authorities close down the Bosphorus shipping channel after a cargo ship that carried liquiefied petroleum gas sinks due to bad weather. It takes hours for the shipping authorities to collect gas tanks. (Planet Ark) (BBC)In Italy, explosion in the Motta di Livenza injures three people. Officials suspect serial bomber (CNN) (BBC)In the United States six developers of the infamous Twisted Metal series, are tragically killed in a plane crash. They had to cancel the release of "Twisted Metal: Lost". In the game Twisted Metal: Head On Extra Edition, they include the first three levels of Twisted Metal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_2005
admin
Site Admin

Return to March 2005