North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Bush says he needs God to run the US« Thread Started on Jan

Daily newsbrief journal for January 2005, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Bush says he needs God to run the US« Thread Started on Jan

Postby admin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:31 am

Bush says he needs God to run the US« Thread Started on Jan 16, 2005, 6:36am » --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bush says he needs God to run the USGeorge Bush could not run the United States without "a relationship with the Lord", he has said in an interview stressing the role of his Christian faith in the presidency. "I don't see how you can be president ... without a relationship with the Lord," he told the Washington Times in advance of his second-term inauguration. Pollsters say November's election was swung by moral values and the Republican strategy of courting religious voters. Bush used the last of three TV debates with Democrat rival John Kerry during the election campaign to try and co-opt God. Bush said he believed that freedom was God's gift, and that this was a core element of his administration's foreign policy. The President's faith also came under scrutiny in the run up to the Iraq war when it was revealed that the president got his early morning inspiration from the writings of a Scottish Evangelist from the last century. However a radical new Christian book to be launched to coincide with the inauguration next week, challenges the 'moral agenda' of the President and the way that it relates to his politics. "God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It" by Jim Wallis from the Sojourners community in Washington DC, challenges many of the assumptions of the debate surrounding 'values voters' in the recent US Presidential elections. It suggests that the Right in America has hijacked the language of faith to prop up its political agenda. But, speaking to the Washington Times, George Bush said; "This is a country that is a value-based country". "Whether they voted for you or not, there's a lot of values in this country, for which I'm real proud ... "I think more and more people understand the importance of faith in their life. America is a remarkable place when it comes to faith." He then swerved to say he did not believe people should be judged by their religious convictions or fervour. "I fully understand that the job of the president is and must always be protecting the great right of people to worship or not worship as they see fit," Mr Bush said. "That's what distinguishes us from the Taliban. "The greatest freedom we have, or one of the greatest freedoms, is the right to worship the way you see fit. "On the other hand, I don't see how you can be president, at least from my perspective, without a relationship with the Lord," he added.
admin
Site Admin

Return to January 2005