North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Kerry stresses strong turnout« Thread Started on Nov 1, 2004

Daily newsbrief journal for November 2004, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Kerry stresses strong turnout« Thread Started on Nov 1, 2004

Postby admin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:19 am

Kerry stresses strong turnout« Thread Started on Nov 1, 2004, 6:15pm » --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Kerry urges new direction for countryKerry says he's ready to leadMonday, November 1, 2004 Posted: 2054 GMT (0454 HKT) http://edition.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS ... lMILWAUKEE, Wisconsin (AP) -- John Kerry called on a wet and chilly crowd in Milwaukee to move the country in the right direction.He said the choice is clear tomorrow -- and that it's probably one of the most important elections of these voters' lifetimes.Kerry has kept his appearance short, as he moves across the heartland in a series of campaign-eve appearances. He began the day in Florida.His appearance in Wisconsin came within an hour of a stop by President Bush. The two press motorcades passed on the road to the airport, even as Air Force One took off and flew over the Kerry caravan.Kerry also urged voters Monday to make a strong turnout on Election Day and "change the direction of this country" by rejecting President Bush and sending him to the White House instead."This is the choice. This is the moment of accountability for America," Kerry said on the tarmac of Orlando International Airport. "It's the moment where the world is watching what you're going to do. All of the hopes and dreams of our country are on the line today."During a hopscotch tour of battleground states, Kerry said he felt "fabulous" and more than ready to lead, and he portrayed himself as a tough defender of the nation's security. (Bush, Kerry talk about terror fight)His last full day of campaigning took the Massachusetts senator from Florida -- scene of the disputed 2000 vote that gave Bush the presidency -- to the Midwest.In Orlando, Kerry attended All Saints' Day mass at a church adjacent to St. John Vianney Catholic School, where schoolgirls squealed when he shook their hands through schoolroom windows. The campaign said Kerry spent 27 days in Florida this year -- one for each of Florida's electoral votes.Kerry said in an interview broadcast Monday on CBS' "The Early Show," that voters should reject Republican charges that he's not tough enough to take charge. He recalled his own Vietnam experience."When I turned my boat in Vietnam into an ambush and I went straight into the ambush and overran it, I didn't see George Bush or Dick Cheney at my side," Kerry said. "So I'm not going to take a second seat to anybody in my willingness to be tough to defend the United States of America. I did it when it mattered, and as president, I will defend the United States of America with everything I have."With a quick laundry list of promises -- a better prescription drug benefit, more money for public schools, help paying for college, job creation and a pledge for national security -- Kerry then set off from Orlando for Midwestern states where the presidential race remains virtually tied. (Special Report: America Votes 2004, the issues)He said that when he mentioned these issues during the debates with Bush, he kept on looking at me like it was some new idea from Mars or something.""I ask you to join me to change the direction of this country," Kerry said.Kerry planned to spend the night in La Crosse, Wisconsin, and to make an appearance there on Election Day before returning to Boston to await the election results. President Bush also planned a Tuesday appearance in Columbus, Ohio, to thank campaign volunteers.If Kerry is elected, the country will switch presidents in wartime for the first time since Lyndon Johnson left office after Richard Nixon was elected in 1968.Plans for national securityIn an interview Sunday with The Associated Press, Kerry said he plans "very strong and real steps" to buttress national security if elected president."If the American people make me president Tuesday, they will see a flurry of activity and leadership with respect to our national security interests that they've never seen, but I'm going to wait until I'm there," Kerry said.If he wins, Kerry said, he would begin putting his Cabinet together "as fast as I can." Some names being mentioned for his national security team include former United Nations Ambassador Richard Holbrooke and Delaware Sen. Joseph Biden, senior Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee.Kerry also said: He supports the Electoral College system for selecting a president, calling it "actually quite genius" for its ability to give smaller states a voice in the election. (Special Report: America Votes 2004, electoral college) He would keep the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives created by Bush and predicted he would see more success by drawing a clear line between religious activity and social aid. He has run "a very positive campaign" without negative ads. Kerry's campaign is running several state-specific spots that assail the president, though. (Special Report: America Votes 2004, campaign ads)
admin
Site Admin

Return to November 2004