North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

April 6, 2004

Daily newsbrief journal for April 2004, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

April 6, 2004

Postby admin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:17 am

April 6, 2004
United States civilian administrator Paul Bremer states that there is "no question" that coalition forces are in control. "I know if you just report on those few places, it does look chaotic. But if you travel around the country ... what you find is a bustling economy, people opening businesses right and left, unemployment has dropped."

Militant cleric Moqtada Sadr rallies his Mahdi Army militia in a third day of urban warfare with coalition forces after fleeing to a refuge close to Shia Islam's holiest shrine.

Shiites want Iraqi political control by June 30 but say the violence the Mahdi Army has incited since Sunday is dangerous.

Palestinian officials state that the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) asks Hamas fighters to join a decision making body to run the Gaza Strip if Israel pulls out.

The parliament of Lithuania narrowly votes to impeach President Rolandas Paksas for violating the constitution. Parliamentary speaker Arturas Paulauskas will act as president for two months pending new elections.

The Standing Committee of the National People's Congress rules that the right to amend the Basic Law of Hong Kong belongs to the National People's Congress. The Standing Committee also issued an "interpretation" (effectively an amendment) of the Basic Law which set out an additional step required for any changes in Hong Kong's political structures.
admin
Site Admin

Re: April 6, 2004

Postby admin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:18 am

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Are you ready?« Thread Started on Apr 6, 2004, 1:44am »--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Are you ready?Dear America,There has never been anything like it. In the first three months of 2004, people like you have helped energize our Party's election year efforts in history-setting fashion. We're pouring our hearts and souls into the effort to take back the White House and win other critical 2004 contests. So now, I have a question: Are you ready for the next step?Are you ready for a month of April in which you and I will continue to deliver a powerful Democratic message all across America? Are you ready to help build the kind of tough, determined, spirited, history-making campaign it is going to take to prevail in 2004?Are you ready to stand up for what you believe in and win?https://www.democrats.org/support/kerry.html?dsc=NETA203If you're ready to win, click the link above and donate now.George Bush and the Republicans thought they could overwhelm us with their massive bankrolls and their relentless attacks. They thought they could swamp and intimidate us, silence our voices.Make no mistake about it: Despite all our progress, they still have a formidable financial advantage. But, we've made it clear that we won't yield any ground in the most critical elections of our lifetime.April will be a vitally important month. On behalf of myself and all the candidates who depend on the Democratic National Committee for essential support, I urge you to give our Party your immediate and enthusiastic help. Please rush a gift to DNC headquarters right now -- and I urge you to be as generous as you possibly can.Together, we'll build a strong, tough, determined Democratic Party. Together, we'll take on the challenges of 2004 and win. Let's get it done.Sincerely,John Kerry
admin
Site Admin

Return to April 2004