North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Whip Hoyer's interview on CNBC's "Squawk Box."

Daily newsbrief journal for January 2012, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Whip Hoyer's interview on CNBC's "Squawk Box."

Postby admin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:35 am

Whip Hoyer Discusses President Obama's State of the Union Address on CNN and CNBC

WASHINGTON, DC – Democratic Whip Steny H. Hoyer (MD) discussed the President’s State of the Union Address on CNN’s “Starting Point” and CNBC's "Squawkbox" this morning. See excerpts of the interviews and links to the videos below.

Click here to watch Whip Hoyer's interview on CNN's "Starting Point."
“I thought it was an excellent speech. I thought it was a serious speech. We have a lot of challenges. The President obviously focused on what I think is critical to the American people - that's jobs…[House Democrats] have had an agenda, we call it “Make It In America,” in the Congress of the United States for the last two years. We’ve talked to the President about it. His manufacturing focus we think was absolutely right. We’ve lost 9 million manufacturing jobs over the last 20 years. We need to expand our manufacturing sector. We need to make things here in America. We need to provide the kind of middle class jobs paying good wages and having good benefits that the America middle class needs to grow, not shrink."
“The President said we need to work together. At the end [of his address], I thought he was powerful when he said, look, our men and women in the Armed Forces, when we give them a mission… they work together to accomplish a mission. That’s what the President urged us to do – to show the patriotism to work, not for political ends or political objectives, but for policy objectives to make America better. I thought that was a powerful ending to his speech, asking for bipartisanship. Hopefully, we'll adhere to that.”

Click here to watch Whip Hoyer's interview on CNBC's "Squawk Box."
http://www.democraticwhip.gov/content/w ... ddress-cnn

“I think this speech was a call to compete, a call to grow jobs here in America. [House Democrats] have an agenda – 'Make It In America.' He talked about manufacturing in America. It's the same deal. We've lost nine million manufacturing jobs, that has shrunk the middle class, it’s undermined people's opportunities. The President is saying, look, we've got to do better. We've got to bring them home, we've got to have the jobs created here. We've got to expand our own economy and double and triple exports, as he pointed out… I think it was a call to compete, a call to focus on American jobs, and to focus on government policies, dealing with taxation and regulation, that would create an environment that would empower the manufacturing sector and the business sector to expand.”
“This is one country, we have one objective, to be more successful, grow jobs, get our deficit under control, and make sure that future generations have the kind of quality of life that we've enjoyed. And in order to do that, we're going to have to work together… The President, I think setting forth an agenda that's an important one for America: growing jobs, getting our fiscal house in order, educating our people, being energy-independent. We can do those and we can do them together.”

Visit http://www.democraticwhip.gov/ for more press, floor and member resources.
admin
Site Admin

Return to January 2012