North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Hoyer Announces New Chief of Staff

Daily newsbrief journal for December 2011, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Postby admin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:15 am

Selects Alexis Covey-Brandt as New Chief of Staff;
Terry Lierman to Serve as Treasurer of HFC, Chair of AMERIPAC

WASHINGTON, DC – House Democratic Whip Steny H. Hoyer (MD) announced today that his current Chief of Staff, Terry Lierman, will be leaving the Hill on December 31st. Hoyer has selected Alexis Covey-Brandt, currently his Floor Director, as his new Chief of Staff.
“Terry Lierman has been a key part of the success of this office for over four and a half years,” said Hoyer. “When he came to our office, he brought unparalleled experience and a passion for helping people. I have worked closely with him for over 30 years to promote and support Democratic ideals, and I am pleased that he will continue to work with me by serving as the Treasurer of Hoyer for Congress and the Chair of AMERIPAC, my leadership PAC. I am very appreciative of all that Terry has done to assure the success of our efforts and look forward to working closely with him in the coming years.”
“In announcing Terry’s departure, I am also announcing his replacement, Alexis Covey–Brandt,” Hoyer continued. “I am enthusiastic that Alexis will be succeeding Terry Lierman as my new Chief of Staff. She has excelled in all the positions she has held in my office over the last nine years, and she has accomplished every responsibility given to her with extraordinary ability and success. From her entry role as a Staff Assistant to her present position as Floor Director, Alexis has exceeded every expectation. And I know that opinion is shared by our Members.”
“The Members have relied on Alexis for information, assistance, and sound advice. In her new role as Chief of Staff, I know that she will serve the Fifth District of Maryland, our Caucus and our Members as she has done throughout her years in my office. Alexis brings great management skills, policy knowledge, and political savvy to her new job. I am fortunate to have her leading our efforts in the future,” Hoyer said.
Covey-Brandt joined Whip Hoyer’s staff in January 2003, when he began his first term as Democratic Whip, and has served in a number of roles in his office. She became his Floor Director in February 2009, while he was Majority Leader. She is a graduate of Haverford College, where she earned a bachelor's degree in anthropology in African studies. She also studied at the University of Ghana-Accra.
Lierman was the youngest staff director of any House or Senate standing committee when he ran the Appropriations committee for Senator Warren Magnason. He followed his public service with great success in the private sector. He was a candidate for Congress in 2000 and was also Chairman of the Maryland Democratic Party from 2004 to 2007. The Party had great success under his leadership, helping to elect Martin O’Malley Governor, Senator Cardin to the Senate and putting the Maryland Democratic Party on a strong financial footing.
Terry will now be returning to the private sector and do what he has done successfully before: start a new venture capital company, which will be called “Health Ventures International.” In addition, he will be the Chair of CSGI, Inc., the parent company of CTIS, a nationally recognized health IT company with businesses around the world.

Visit http://www.democraticwhip.gov/ for more press, floor and member resources.
admin
Site Admin

Return to December 2011