North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Hoyer Statement on Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reducti

Daily newsbrief journal for November 2011, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Hoyer Statement on Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reducti

Postby admin » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:41 pm

Hoyer Statement on Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction

WASHINGTON, DC - House Democratic Whip Steny H. Hoyer (MD) released the following statement today after the Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction announced that the Committee did not reach an agreement:
“I am extremely disappointed at the Joint Select Committee’s announcement that they have failed to reach an agreement. There is no alternative, in my view, except to keep working toward the objective of a big, balanced deal. It is my intention to continue working toward that goal, and I urge both the members of the Committee – who have worked hard on this issue – and all members of the House and Senate to join that effort.
“As Peter Wallsten said today in the Washington Post, ‘The deadlock on the committee offers the latest reminder that the country’s political class seems unable to address fundamental national problems unless faced with an immediate crisis.’ By this failure, the youth of our nation have been particularly ill-served as the fiscal health of the nation they are to inherit remains fragile and unfixed.
“As I have said all along, failure is not an acceptable outcome. Our nation is facing crippling deficits that make it harder to invest in job creation and economic growth. We must come to grips with the deficit challenge that confronts us and make the tough decisions necessary for success.
“History will properly judge us harshly if we fail to continue working toward a comprehensive, balanced, $4 trillion stabilizing solution to the challenge that confronts us. I hope we will redouble our efforts toward that end.”

Visit http://www.democraticwhip.gov/ for more press, floor and member resources.
admin
Site Admin

Return to November 2011