North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

NRC TAKES ACTION ON JAPAN NEAR-TERM TASK FORCESAFETY RECOMME

Daily newsbrief journal for October 2011, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

NRC TAKES ACTION ON JAPAN NEAR-TERM TASK FORCESAFETY RECOMME

Postby admin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:52 pm

NRC TAKES ACTION ON JAPAN NEAR-TERM TASK FORCESAFETY RECOMMENDATIONSThe Nuclear Regulatory Commission has directed the agency’s staff to begin immediatelyimplementing seven safety recommendations from the NRC’s Near-Term Task Force on lessons learned from the reactor accident at Fukushima. The seven recommendations are among 12 comprehensive safety recommendations presented by the Task Force to the Commission in July.“I am pleased that the Commission has taken this first step in responding to and implementing the safety recommendations of the Task Force,” said NRC Chairman Gregory B. Jaczko. “My colleagues and I expect that within five years, and significantly sooner in some cases, the staff will have enhanced our already robust safety standards by carrying out theserecommendations.”The NRC staff reviewed the Task Force’s July 12 report and provided a proposal to theCommission that selected the seven recommendations as most appropriate for immediate action. The recommendations cover issues including the loss of all A/C electrical power at a reactor (also called “station blackout”), reviews of seismic and flooding hazards, emergency equipment and plant staff training.In keeping with the agency’s regulatory actions over the past few years, such as mitigation strategy requirements, the Commission called on the staff to utilize performance-based standards in any new or revised regulations wherever possible. Performance-based requirements specify the objective or result to be attained, rather than prescribing to licensees how the objective or result is to be attained.For the recommendation calling for a new station blackout rule, the Commission set a goal of completing the rulemaking process by April 2014. “The station blackout rulemaking is an achievable goal,” said Chairman Jaczko. “It will, however, be complicated by the Commission’s direction to initiate the rulemaking through an advance notice of rulemaking, rather than as a proposed rule. This will add an extra step to theprocess. Nevertheless, addressing station blackout is a high priority, and I will do my best to lead the staff in accomplishing this effort.”NRC NEWSU.S. NUCLEAR REGULATORY COMMISSIONOffice of Public AffairsTelephone: 301/415-8200Washington, D.C. 20555-0001E-mail: opa.resource@nrc.gov Site: www.nrc.govBlog: http://public-blog.nrc-gateway.govNo. 11-202October 20, 2011
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 2
In its reports to the Commission in September, and again in early October, the staff endorsed virtually all of the Task Force’s recommendations. The October staff review also proposed additional steps beyond the Task Force recommendations, which touch on safety issues such as spent fuel storage and emergency planning. The remaining Task Force recommendations, alongwith the additional recommendations, are currently pending with the Commission.The Commission’s memo to the staff is available on the NRC’s website.###
admin
Site Admin

Return to October 2011