North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

REMARKS OF NRC CHAIRMAN, GREGORY B. JACZKO AT THEJAPAN TASK

Daily newsbrief journal for July 2011, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

REMARKS OF NRC CHAIRMAN, GREGORY B. JACZKO AT THEJAPAN TASK

Postby admin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:02 am

OPENING REMARKS OF NRC CHAIRMAN, GREGORY B. JACZKO AT THEJAPAN TASK FORCE BRIEFING
Good morning. The Commission meets today to discuss the Japan Task Force’s near-term report and recommendations.I first want to thank Charlie Miller and the other members of the Task Force for all theirwork in conducting the 90-day, near-term review. The report’s analysis and recommendations reflect their experience, expertise, and commitment to nuclear safety. I also want to acknowledgethe many other NRC staff members who supported their efforts in conducting the review, as wellas the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Institute for Nuclear Power Operations, and other groups and individuals who shared their views with the Task Force. In laying out a Regulatory Framework for the 21stCentury, the Commission’s Task Forcedeveloped a comprehensive set of 12 recommendations they believe are needed to strengthen nuclear safety. Those recommendations—many with both short- and long- term elements—rangein areas from loss of electrical power to earthquakes, flooding, spent fuel pools, venting, and emergency preparedness. Throughout the report, the Task Force emphasizes that effective NRCaction is essential in addressing these challenges and that voluntary industry initiatives areultimately no substitute for strong and effective NRC oversight.We are in a very good position today to be able to move forward quickly and effectivelybecause of the Task Force’s outstanding work. The Task Force has clearly done its part in helping us to better understand what nuclear safety requires in a post-Fukushima world. Now, it is time for my Commission colleagues and me to do our part—to systematically and methodically review each of these recommendations in a public and transparent way. There aremany people both inside and outside the agency who can contribute to this dialogue. That includes the NRC’s own experienced and expert staff, public interest groups committed to nuclear safety and environmental protection, and of course the industry leaders who ultimately bear the prime responsibility for ensuring that an accident like Fukushima never occurs in theUnited States.NRC NEWSU.S. NUCLEAR REGULATORY COMMISSIONOffice of Public AffairsTelephone: 301/415-8200Washington, D.C. 20555-0001E-mail: opa.resource@nrc.gov Site: www.nrc.govBlog: http://public-blog.nrc-gateway.govNo. 11-130July 19, 2011
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 2
I believe today’s meeting on the Task Force’s report will be among most important at the NRC in recent years. These safety issues are simply that important.###News releases are available through a free listserv subscription at the following Web address: http://www.nrc.gov/public-involve/listserver.html. The NRC homepage at www.nrc.gov also offers a SUBSCRIBElink. E-mail notifications are sent to subscribers when news releases are posted to NRC’s website.
admin
Site Admin

Return to July 2011