North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Hoyer Statement on Republican Budgetless Resolution

Daily newsbrief journal for January 2011

Postby admin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:51 pm

WASHINGTON, DC - Democratic Whip Steny H. Hoyer (MD) spoke on the House Floor today in opposition to the Republican Budgetless Resolution. Below are his remarks as prepared for delivery:
"After borrowing trillions of dollars to finance tax cuts, a new entitlement, and two wars, Republicans tell us that they are now taking the deficit seriously. And if they meant it; if they were interested in the deficit as anything other than a political cudgel; if they actually used their House majority to back up their words with action—then no one would be happier than the Democratic Party. Our deficit is too big for partisan politics: it cripples our children’s opportunities; it makes it harder for them to pay for a college education, buy a home, start a business, or plan a future.
"I want Republicans to take the deficit seriously—to join President Obama and Democrats in making the hard choices it will take to get out of debt. But so far, with the opportunity to finally back up their words, they’ve given our country a record of disappointment.
"A rules package that paves the way to add nearly $5 trillion to the deficit.
"A vote to repeal health care reform, which would add $230 to the deficit.
"A pledge to cut spending by $100 billion, which it has taken them less than a month to break.
"And today, a one-page resolution with no numbers and no specifics.
"I think Colin Powell got it exactly right when he said on Sunday: 'Don’t tell me you're going to freeze to a level. That usually is a very inefficient way of doing it. Tell me what you're going to cut.'
"We’re still waiting for that answer. At a time when getting out of debt, growing the economy, and creating jobs are our country’s defining, bipartisan challenges, we need hard choices, not more political theater. Mr. Speaker, deficit theater is easy—deficit action is hard. I urge my colleagues to vote down this resolution. And I hope that Republicans will turn from empty symbolism to the real action needed to restore fiscal balance and protect the future of our middle class: keeping our entitlements solvent, scrutinizing defense spending, and pursuing tax reform that reduces the deficit."

Visit http://www.democraticwhip.gov/ for more press, floor and member resources.
admin
Site Admin

Return to January 2011