North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Hoyer Statement in Support of Bill to Reform and Reauthorize

Daily newsbrief journal for May 2013, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/weblog for a global compendium library and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Hoyer Statement in Support of Bill to Reform and Reauthorize

Postby admin » Fri May 17, 2013 7:23 am

Hoyer Statement in Support of Bill to Reform and Reauthorize the Election Assistance Commission

WASHINGTON, DC - House Democratic Whip Steny H. Hoyer (MD) released the following statement today in support of H.R. 2017, a bill to reform and reauthorize the Election Assistance Commission (EAC):

“I applaud Democrats on the House Administration Committee, led by Ranking Member Robert Brady and Reps. Zoe Lofgren and Juan Vargas, for introducing legislation to reform and reauthorize the Election Assistance Commission. The security and integrity of our elections are the bedrock of our vibrant and stable democracy, and Congress has a responsibility to make sure that all eligible Americans can access the ballot box and have their votes counted accurately. The long lines and contested ballots in several jurisdictions last November reaffirm the need for the Election Assistance Commission, whose work Republicans have obstructed by delaying nominations and attempting to defund its operations.

“When I sponsored the Help America Vote Act in 2002, the 357 House Members who voted for it recognized that the problems highlighted by the election debacle in Florida two years prior could only be solved by providing states with assistance in modernizing their voting systems and a clearinghouse for testing, certification, and information about best practices. The Election Assistance Commission was created for this purpose, and American voters need it now more than ever. I call on Chairman Miller and Committee Republicans to allow a markup of this bill so that it can proceed to consideration by the full House, where I hope it will be allowed a vote on the Floor and passed with the same strong, bipartisan support it received in 2002.”

Visit http://www.democraticwhip.gov/ for more press, floor and member resources.
admin
Site Admin

Return to May 2013